Monday, July 13, 2015

One year older and wiser too...

WE HAVE A NEW MISSION PRESIDENT! And they are making this websitetaiwantaipeimission.com for friends and family to see what is up in our mission, plus videos and pics of us!! So go check it out...cuz I can't :)
Well it has been a fun ride this past year....here are some of the highlights of living in this beautiful land of Taiwan. You probably won't understand half of them, but these are what has made my mission so incredible, important, and strange:)
stinky tofu
squatty potties
Amas pulling carts of recycling, 18 times heavier than they are
singing garbage trucks
mangoes to DIE FOR
stray animals with deformities
mosquito bites covering every square inch of skin
creepy old met hitting on you trying to speak English
"Ever heard of Jesus Christ?"
binlang 檳榔 (look it up)
7-11s on every corner
7-11s the only place with air conditioning
getting hit by cars
giant Buddhist temples everywhere you look
"我是拜拜的!"
butchers selling EVERY part of the animal's body
"Every religion is the same"
being asked if I'm Taiwanese
brain washing Buddhist chants
what's the use of shaving your legs??
typhoons...that's why we wear Crocs
"Ever heard of Las Vegas?"
no matter how long you've been on island, your Chinese is always considered amazing
praying until your legs (or yourself) are asleep
riding bikes in a skirt
squishing bugs like a ninja...mosquitoes flies and cockroaches
going through 8 or 9 water bottles a day
停水 stopping the water in the town because it hasn't rained in a week
members following commandments
sweating from pores you didn't know you had
Taiwanese people sharing deep conversion stories
tea being the only drink sold at most stores
using a rice cooker for every meal
miracles,mangoes,mosquitoes
making relationships that will last an eternity
baptisms

Well, any questions?:) This is my life, along with a million other miracles and people that have completely sculpted me inside and out to be a disciple of Jesus Christ. He is my older brother and my Savior. He is my best friend. Heavenly Father is my daddy and He loves me and knows what is best for me, in every single tiny trivial aspect of my life. Trials are for growth, and faith is meant to be tried. Like Nephi quotes from Isaiah in 1 Nephi 21:9 "That thou mayest say to the prisoners: Go forth; to them that sit in darkness: Show yourselves." My work, for now and forever is to show myself, the light I have accumulated from the light of Christ, to those who are trapped in their own spiritual prisons, whether it be because of self-criticism, the criticism of others, emotional turmoil, trials, pains, addiction or weakness. We all have that light that we need to share to penetrate the darkness in others' lives. I have been doing that for a year now, stretching and growing in ways that I could never have thought possible, and this is just the beginning of a lifelong journey of progression. I know that all of our efforts are required to change the way we want to change. No amount of work of sacrifice on our part will even merit a part of His grace, but He rewards us anyway. Because He loves us. He is our ultimate example of love and sacrifice. I love this, with all of my heart and soul I LOVE BEING A MISSIONARY. 

No comments:

Post a Comment