Sunday, July 5, 2015

A week without chocolate!

     So my mom and brother are in China right now, my brother did his Eagle Scout Project at an orphanage in Beijing. So you could say I miss China right now!!! Just bragging on my family:)
    Well this week, nothing much very interesting. We have very few members here in Yuli and ALL the ones who could help us peike were too busy or out of town. So that was a bummer. Also, a LOT of our investigators, well all but about 2 decided they didn't want to meet with us anymore, stopped answering calls or had family 反對. But our really progressing investigator Lin Yi Mei has really been progressing! she fasted for over 12 hours yesterday for the purpose of feeling like her body is strong enough to not drink coffee and tea!! She has a little bit of mental illness, like a lot of people here in Yuli, so her progress is REALLY slow, but we really think she can do this!!! That's right, Sister Chan and I have decided to give up chocolate until Lin Jiemei gets baptized, to show her that we can all do hard things, even give up what we most need to live!!! Yes, that's chocolate in my case.

We also have a Filipina investigator. She FINALLY brought out her real concerns this week. 1. She can't actually READ the material we give her in Tagalog because it isn't her dialect!!! So we can start from the beginning teaching in English. We wish we knew why she didn't bring it up earlier! 2. Her mom wants her to stay Catholic. But we think that once we start teaching Belen so that she understands the importance and beauty of the message we are sharing, she will want to rethink this decision and ask her mom again.

     Our members are really going to help us more this week, they really want to help us become a WARD!!! and even build our own CHAPEL! So we want to start teaching a scripture study class to invite members, less active members, investigators and any of their friends to, to discuss scriptures and help people understand them more. We really think it will be beneficial for some new members, as well as obviously help investigators understand the Book of Mormon and share their own experiences as well as providing a great environment for producing spiritual experiences.

     Happy Independence Day last week!!!! We spent our lunch eating steak at an American's house, pretty nice right? My mom sent me these scarfs so we wore them on the Fourth of July:) I was trying to be really American and use an English copy of the Book of Mormon:) Ha ha, there isn't much you can do to access American things here, especially in Yuli!!
A scripture I wanted to share today is in Mosiah 16:15 "Teach them that redemption cometh through Christ the Lord, who is the very Eternal Father. Amen. "I love this because it is so simply what we stand for as members of this church and what I teach to everyone I meet every day on a mission. 
     This week was hard and it was a million degrees and the humidity is killer. Every day is like walking through a rice cooker, not an oven because an oven is dry heat and this wet heat is a million times worse. Dripping sweat from pores of my body I didn't even know could sweat...it sometimes gets frustrating, and re-knocking doors because Yuli is so small...missions are hard but guess what, Jesus Christ's life wasn't easy and I am so grateful I get to experience at least a little of the pain He felt, even if it's in a different way. Because if we never experienced any pain or heartache, how could we really call ourselves disciples of Christ, who suffered more than any of us can comprehend? So I love this scripture because it makes what we teach SO simple.
As a last note, I want to add that YOU HAVE NOT LIVED IF YOU HAVE NOT EATEN TAIWAN'S MANGOES. Sorry, that's just a simple fact. We were knocking doors yesterday after having had an investigator not show up, and then members who lived in the area invited us in to eat mangoes. Then last night we had an inspiration to visit a less active member who is normal not home, but she was home and we had a great lesson with her, then she gave us free nuts (from COSTCO, what what) and mangoes she grew herself! I might turn orange ha
ha but I don't even care!!!! literally most delicious thing of my entire existence. Well I love you all, have a good week:)

No comments:

Post a Comment